Return to FAQ List
FAQ 52: Using updater.exe to automatically get new keywordsCategory: Initial setup
Note: This article is for DNS Redirector software.
Used to update the Internet filtering capability of DNS Redirector; it can retrieve keyword lists from our site, 3rd party sites, your own custom files, and then combine the lists.
The latest version of updater.exe is: v188.8.131.52 r07/27/2017 (requires .NET Framework 4.6.1)
An upgrade is free to all valid license holders and can be found in the download .zip
How to upgrade to the latest version...
- Right-click, and select Properties on the file you downloaded
- Click the Unblock button (if this button is not present just proceed), then OK
- Extract to the working directory C:\DNSREDIR (replacing ONLY updater.exe, updaterdone.bat, updatersetup.bat)
- Delete your C:\DNSREDIR\UpdaterCache folder (it will get re-created automatically on the next run)
- Run updatersetup.bat, verify your block list selections, press OK
- Verify your scheduled task is set to run updater.exe once a day*
- Optionally, run updater.exe to do an update now
updater.exe assumes BlockedKeywordsFile=blocked.txt in dnsredir.ini (because blocked.txt is the output file) and that you're using DNS Redirector v7 or later.
Don't add your own keywords to blocked.txt directly because they will be overwritten when the update is run. For this purpose, create a blocked-custom.txt file in the working directory and specify this filename under "Include these custom files:" then check the box beside it so it gets incorporated into blocked.txt
With updater.exe v2.2.x or later, when a DNS Redirector license is found, additional options to download and create an allowed.txt and/or nxdforce.txt file becomes available.
When updater.exe is run the download and merge procedure will start
When updatersetup.bat is run the selection GUI is shown, click OK to save any changes.
Highly recommended: Pick update from server "http://updt.dnsredirctrl.com"
This is hosted on Amazon S3 for redundancy and global availability.
Suggested: Check "Run updaterdone.bat when done" to restart the service when done
With DNS Redirector v7 or later a restart is not required, the new blocked.txt (or allowed.txt or nxdforce.txt) will be reloaded automatically.
However in some cases restarting can free up server memory and has the benefit of "forgetting" all clients so they must become authorized and/or bypass the block the next day.
Other examples you might use the updaterdone.bat file for...
- stop the exe, copy in an alternate .ini set to block everything, then start, manually change to the updated list later
- send an email that the update was done, attaching the log, manually change to the updated list later
- copy the latest blocked.txt to other servers
- restart processes locally/remotely using pskill.exe, psexec.exe or sc.exe
- stop and start multiple services
Use a scheduled task to run updater.exe every X days...
*Usually late at night (after 11pm CST is suggested, when your network is least active, no advantage to running it more than twice a day)
Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler
...define the program as C:\DNSREDIR\updater.exe and the start in or working directory as C:\DNSREDIR